Monday, January 27, 2014

D.I.Y. Light Box


Do you want professional quality photos without the professional price? This cheap alternative makes your photos bright, light, and most importantly shadow-less. Just find good natural light, make this simple light box, and shoot away!
A while ago I came across a post via Flax and Twine and knew instantly I had to make this. The materials were very simple, all things I could find in my house (no going to the store). I gathered all the materials and started. I will say that it definitely took longer than expected, probably the whole afternoon. The longest part was cutting the cardboard.
MATERIALS
< cardboard box >
< tissue paper >
< tape >
< scissors >
< pen >
< X-Acto knife >
< ruler >

PROCEDURE

With the cardboard box flat, on one side of the box, draw a rectangle with each side 1" from the edge. (* From the pictures you can see I did 1/4" and that was way too small). Repeat for 3 of the four sides, ignoring the top and bottom of the box.

Using an X-Acto knife, or similar blade, cut out the box

Repeat for the other sides, so only one side is left uncut (* You can use the scrap cardboard as a cutting board so you don't scratch your surface)

On a tissue paper, trace the scrap rectangle that you cut out. Cut 1" from the sides (like the 3rd picture). Repeat 3 more times

Cut the top flaps  of the box off. Set up the box, so that it is now 3D. With each of the 3 tissue paper rectangles, tape them on the box covering the cutouts. (* I forgot to take a picture of this part, but find a white paper and just tape the one side of the paper to the back side and the other side of the paper to the bottom side of the box)

That's it! Add a little brightening in Photoshop and you're done! 

~  ~  ~
This was my first D.I.Y. Tutorial and hopefully not my last. Taking the pictures and editing them was actually not that difficult. The most difficult part was probably explaining the step. So I apologize if each step was not that clear and that some steps didn't have an accompanying picture to follow along, but I hope you find this tutorial helpful. If you try this, don't forget to write in a comment below.  

No comments:

Post a Comment